skip to main content

Media Enquiries

The Parliamentary Archives welcomes the opportunity to promote its records in the press and on film, television and radio. If you work in the press or media and need further information about facilities and fees, this information is for you.

I want to visit and film/record in the Parliamentary Archives – what do I do?

You will need to complete and return our Application for Media Filming in the Archives, email it us at and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Can I visit and see documents and/or locations before I decide to come and film?

Yes, contact us at to make an appointment to recce locations and/or book a searchroom seat to view documents. Please do also email us if you want to enquire informally about possible filming dates before completing the application form.

I haven’t got time to recce, what do your locations look like?

Here are pictures showing the Archives Searchroom with bookshelves lining the walls; the Archives Strongroom with boxes on shelves; and the modern Lecture Room located in Victoria Tower:

Actress Courteney Cox in the archives searchroom

Archives Searchroom

Newsnight in strongroom

Archives Strongroom

Visitors in the archives modern lecture room

Modern Lecture Room

I want to film the Death Warrant of King Charles I/the Bill of Rights 1689, is that possible?

Unfortunately, no. We no longer allow filming of the Death Warrant, the Bill of Rights, or a number of our other most important iconic constitutional documents for preservation reasons.

Instead, we offer full HD stock footage of a selection of these documents, which you can licence from us, and we supply to you as .mov files. Here is a list of stock footage available, with links to YouTube video clips to give you an idea what it looks like. If you want to licence any of the sets of clips, please complete and return our Licence agreement for broadcasting to us at and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

• Death Warrant and Trial Record of King Charles I
• Bill of Rights and Draft Declaration of Rights 1689
• The Stamp Act 1765
• Act of Settlement 1701 and Royal Marriages Act 1772
• Act of Union and Articles of Union with Scotland, 1706-7
• Great Reform Act 1832, Second Reform Act 1867, Third Reform Act 1884, Representation of the People Act 1918 and Equal Franchise Act 1928
• Parliament Act 1911, Parliament Act 1949, Life Peerages Act 1958 and House of Lords Act 1999

I don’t want to visit and film, but I do want to include a still image of a Parliamentary Archives document in my film/TV programme – what do I do?

You should complete and return our Licence agreement for broadcasting. Please read it carefully first. It includes details of our terms and conditions, fees, and the application form for licensing of images for broadcast. Return the completed form to us at and we will get back to you as soon as possible.  You may also want to see our Image Copying Costs.

I don’t have a catalogue reference for the document I want to film/broadcast – where do I find this?

Please Search our online catalogue to find the documents that we hold.

I don’t want to film in the Archives, I want to film elsewhere in Parliament, can you help?

No, the Parliamentary Archives can only assist with media requests relating to the Archives. To enquire about filming elsewhere in the House of Lords, please contact Black Rod’s Office. For the House of Commons, contact the Media Relations Team.

If you have a query which is not covered by the above information, or an urgent request to record a news story, please contact us on or +44 (0)207 219 3074.

Last updated July 2019