Papers of Jennie Lee, MP (1904-1988)
For ordering, viewing and copying options: please select Ordering and Viewing
- Held At: Parliamentary Archives: GB-061
- Catalogue Reference: JLE
- Accession Number: 3994
- Date: 1956-2001
- Level: Fonds
- Extent: 1 file
- Creator Name: Lee; Lady; Jennie (1904-1988)
- Administrative or Biographical History: Jennie Lee was Parliamentary Secretary to the Ministry of Public Buildings and Works (1964-Feb 1965) and Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for the Department of Education and Science (Feb 1967-June 1970). In Feb 1967, she became Minister of State for the Department of Education and Science, until June 1970. She was Minister for the Arts (1964-1970); she was sworn in as a member of the Privy Council in 1966 and elected Chairman of the Labour Party in 1967. She sat for North Lanarkshire from March 1929 to March 1931 when she was defeated. She unsuccessfully contested North Lanarkshire again in 1935 as an Independent Labour Party candidate. She was also unsuccessful in Bristol Central in Feb 1943, where she stood as an Independent Labour Party candidate with the support of the Common Wealth Party. She was elected for the Cannock division of Staffordshire in July 1945 and sat until 1970 when she was defeated. She was a member of the Central Advisory Committee on Housing and a member of the National Executive Committee of the Labour Party (1958-1970). She was the wife of Aneurin Bevan, MP, who sat for the Ebbw Vale division of Monmouthshire from May 1929 until his death in 1960.
- Acquisition: Dr Chris Pond deposited the papers in Parliamentary Archives on 12 Feb 2002; accession number 3994.
- Category: Personal/Political Papers
- Description: This file contains letters from Jennie Lee, as well as press cuttings from "Punch" and "The Times".
- Language: English
- Related Material: For other correspondence from Jennie Lee, see BBK/D/400, BBK/C/37 and STH/FS/1/LEE.1. Other personal and political papers can be found at the Open University Library; for correspondence with C P Trevelyan, see the Robinson Library at Newcastle upon Tyne University, in CPT.
- Access Status: Open
- Physical Description: Typescript, manuscript and printed
Ordering the Document
Sorry, this document cannot be ordered.
There are several reasons why documents cannot be ordered. Including:
- Most closed files are closed for a set period at the point of transfer. Requests to see these files will be considered in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act 2000. To see these you will need to submit a Freedom of Information Request in writing, such as by sending an online message or emailing email@example.com. Please include the catalogue references of the documents you are interested in.
- Documents containing sensitive personal information about living individuals are closed under the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) 2018.
- A few of our documents are in poor physical condition and are too fragile to be consulted. Some damaged documents can still be seen under the supervision of Collection Care staff, by appointment. We also have an ongoing programme of conservation and digitisation to improve long term access to the collection.
- Trying to order a group of documents rather than single items that can be consulted in the search room. In this case, please use the Browse by Hierarchy tab to navigate down to records with the level File or Item.