Public Act, 31 Charles II, c. 2
To see this item in our search room please contact us: email@example.com
- Held At: Parliamentary Archives: GB-061
- Catalogue Reference: HL/PO/PU/1/1679/31C2n3
- Former Archival Reference: Display Document E.85
- Date: 1679
- Level: File
- Extent: 1 Act of Parliament
- Category: Acts of Parliament/Laws/Legislation
- Description: An Act for the better securing the Liberty of the Subject, and for Prevention of Imprisonments beyond the Seas ["Habeas Corpus Act"].
The Act, better known as the Habeas Corpus Act was designed to prevent the unlawful detention of people by the authorities by giving courts the power to determine the legality of such imprisonment. However, Parliament had the power to suspend Habeas Corpus in exceptional circumstances.
- Access Status: Open
- Access Conditions: This record contains information of outstanding constitutional or historical importance and access to the original document is restricted. Requests to view will be dealt with by providing access to a copy.
- Reproduction Conditions: Copies should be made from the digital surrogate of this record.
- Copies Exist: A digital copy of this record is available. For information about how to view it, which may include online access, please follow the link below.